Test your students’ global IQ at our annual international knowledge competition for high school students.
2023 Competition Details
Date: Wednesday, March 1, 2023 (tentative)
Location: This year’s competition will be in person at the Mall of America, on Wednesday, March 1, 2023. There will also be an option to compete online via Zoom and MyQuiz. Details on how to access the online event and game instructions coming soon.
Time: 3:30 pm – 6:00 pm CDT
This free event invites teams of four to challenge their global knowledge to correctly answer a series of multiple-choice questions in competition with other local schools. The winning team will represent Minnesota at the national Academic WorldQuest competition organized by the World Affairs Councils of America, on April 28-29, 2023 in Washington, DC.
- Each high school (9-12 grade students) can register up to 2 teams of 4 students for the in-person event on a first-come, first-served basis. All high schools also have the option to register an unlimited number of teams to participate online.
- FREE to compete
- Refreshments provided for in-person participants
- Additional prize drawings throughout the event
- Team Spirit Award: Let your Spirit show for a chance to win a $100 Amazon gift card! In-person teams only.
- First place team receives a championship trophy for their school, and the opportunity to represent Minnesota at the national competition in Washington, D.C. in April. Global Minnesota will cover the cost of roundtrip airfare from Minneapolis to Washington, D.C. for the four team members and an adult chaperone, and will arrange and pay for hotel expenses for the group during the competition.
Academic WorldQuest competition questions are based on the downloadable study guide mentioned above and on information related to the Foreign Policy Association’s 2022 Great Decisions book. Each registered team will receive four FREE copies of the 2022 Great Decisions briefing book in the mail (while supplies last with a maximum of 12 books per school).
To find additional study materials related to the Great Decisions topics, please follow the instructions below:
1. Go to the Foreign Policy Association Great Decisions website
2. Click on Topic Resources.
4. Scroll down to near the bottom of the page and select 2022 in the “Past Topics” dropdown menu.
5. Click on the Great Decisions topic you wish to study. You will then see the links and glossary related to that topic.
All questions for this year’s competition will be drawn from sources in the official Academic WorldQuest Study Guide, with the exception of current events.
- Securing the Future of the World’s Wildlife
- The Arctic Council: Frozen Cooperation
- Atrocity Prevention and Accountability
- Combating Global Food Insecurity
- Economic Sanctions – A Double-Edged Sword
- Great Decisions
- Country in Focus: Ethiopia
- The Future of Supply Chains
- Battle of the Century: Autocracy vs. Democracy
- Current Events
WorldQuest 2022 Standings
|Nova Classical Team A||1|
|Edina Team B||2|
|Rochester Mayo Team A||3|
|Minnetonka Team A||4|
|Washburn Team B||5|
|Washburn Team A||6|
|Minnetonka Team B||7|
|Washburn Team E||9|
Other Participating Schools
St. Paul Central
School of Environmental Studies
Contact Sylvia Oxenham, K-12 Education Manager
Presented in partnership with Delta Air Lines, Mall of America, and the World Affairs Councils of America.