K-12 Education Internship
Global Minnesota’s K-12 Education area includes three programs:
- Classroom Connection (elementary) arranges for international students, scholars, and community members to meet with Minnesota elementary and secondary school students in their classrooms to share culture, personal perspectives, and ideas.
- Academic WorldQuest (high school) is an international knowledge trivia competition. The winning Minnesota team goes to Washington, D.C. for the national competition.
- Great Decisions in the Classroom is a Foreign Policy Association discussion program. Global Minnesota continues to increase the number of discussion groups at the high school level and provides teachers and students with resources, such as the Great Decisions briefing book and DVD, that cover the key foreign policy issues for the year.
- Phone, fax, and email contact with international volunteers and classroom teachers; assist with projects related to Classroom Connection; filling requests for speakers and confirming arrangements
- Assisting with training workshops by mailing announcements, preparing materials, registration and physical set-up
- General clerical and administrative assistance with mailings, making photocopies, data entry, word processing; PowerPoint, and program reports.
- (Optional) Driving international volunteers to classroom presentations; publicizing Global Minnesota at on-campus events
- Hands-on experience working for a nonprofit organization in an office environment
- Gain both clerical and program-specific skills
- Free admittance to public programs
- Complimentary Global Minnesota membership
- Networking opportunities
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work with confidential information
- Ability to work as part of a team as well as individually
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to prioritize
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Previous clerical experience preferred
- Ability to provide and accept feedback
- Strong customer service skills
- Ability to pass a background check