Global Minnesota hosts a virtual symposium to mark World Health Day on April 7. The official theme for the day is Health Equity.
This enormous topic extends all the way from local grassroots issues to global policy initiatives. With its reputation for health care, organizations and companies based in Minnesota are in a unique position to share expertise in improving global health. As the facilitator of this symposium, Global Minnesota serves as a conduit of information that can take local innovations and extend their reach across the world.
What projects around the globe can shape solutions that support developing health equity? How can the United States and Minnesota learn from global innovators?
Thirty invited speakers from the government, corporate, and nonprofit sectors will discuss what they perceive as options that support global health equity. The event is designed as a cooperative effort with the World Health Organization, UNICEF, major medical companies, and corporations and nonprofits who position themselves as responsive to pandemic concerns.
More information on the agenda and presenters’ backgrounds is available:
Event Video Library
In the next few days the live ASL translated videos will be available on this website and Global Minnesota’s YouTube page. Thanks to St. Cloud State University for providing this service.
Once the recordings for this program are posted on our YouTube page, subtitles in many languages will be available there. Subtitles are also available on the videos posted below:
Open the video of your choice. On the bottom right corner of the video, click on the gear for SETTINGS. Click on SUBTITLES, then click on ENGLISH. Click again on SUBTITLES and then click on AUTO TRANSLATE. Scroll down to find your preferred language and click on it.
Welcome and Opening Remarks
- Mark Ritchie, President, Global Minnesota
- Hon. Peggy Flanagan, Lieutenant Governor, State of Minnesota
- Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, PhD, Director-General, World Health Organization
Global Perspectives on Health Equity
- Michael J. Nyenhuis, President, UNICEF USA
- Amy Goldman, President, Chief Executive Officer & Chair, GHR Foundation
- Jakub Tolar, MD, PhD, Dean, University of Minnesota Medical School
- G. Anton Decker, MBBCh/MD, President, Mayo Clinic International
- Ed Bastian, Chief Executive Officer, Delta Air Lines
- James Hereford, President and CEO, Fairview Health Services
- Helen Clark, 37th Prime Minister of New Zealand; Chair, The Independent Panel for Pandemic Preparedness and Response, World Health Organization
Tackling Health at the Strategic Level
- Henry Ting, MD, Chief Health Officer, Delta Air Lines
- Margaret-Mary Wilson, MD, Chief Medical Officer/Senior Vice President, UnitedHealthcare Global
- Pierre R. Theodore, MD, Vice President, Johnson & Johnson Global External Innovation
A Conversation with Michael Osterholm
Michael Osterholm, PhD, Director, Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP), University of Minnesota
Partnering for Global Health Equity Through Access and Outcomes
- Geoff Martha, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Medtronic
- Paurvi Bhatt, President, Medtronic Foundation
- Jackie Boucher, President, Children’s HeartLink
Health Equity: What We Can Learn from Each Other
- Ali Diallo, Founder and General Partner, United Capital Group
- Jean-Paul Smets, Founder and CEO, Nexedi
- Niousha Roshani, PhD, Co-Founder, Global Black Youth
Pandemic Preparedness and Health Equity
- Leith Greenslade, Co-ordinator, Every Breath Counts Coalition
- Nneka O. Sederstrom, PhD, Chief Health Equity Officer, Hennepin Healthcare
- Sister Carol Keehan, Head, Health Task Force Vatican COVID-19 Commission
Social and Economic Benefits of Health Equity
- Phyllis Kurlander Costanza, Head, UBS in Society, CEO, UBS Optimus Foundation
- Efe Ukala, Founder, ImpactHER
- Azza Karam, PhD, Secretary General, Religions for Peace International
- Diane Tran, Senior Director, Community Engagement, Fairview Health Services
The Role of Health Equity in Sustainability and Resilience
- Claudia Romo Edelman, Founder/CEO, We Are All Human Foundation
- Juan Jose Gomez Camacho, Ambassador of Mexico to Canada
- David Nabarro, BCh BM/MD, Co-Director, Institute of Global Health Innovation, Imperial College London
- Edie Lush, Journalist, Co-Host Global GoalsCast
Thank You Sponsors
Premier Presenting Sponsor
Silver Sponsor King Solutions
Bronze Sponsor Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota
Thank You Program Partners
Thank you to promotional partners Books for Africa, Citizens for Global Solutions, Earth Day Network, Every Breath Counts, Food Tank, French-American Chamber of Commerce, Global Black Youth, Global Ties U.S., ImpactHER, Institute for Agriculture & Trade Policy, MyFormulary, South Dakota World Affairs Council, Take Action Global, TeamWomen, The Public Diplomacy Council, United Nations Association of Minnesota, and US Heartland China Association.